Monday, February 2, 2009
a celebration of Crow
Can't you see me now strolling down a sunny avenue wearing my bright yellow dress in the company of a cheerful canine friend? Okay, so that's a scary thought but read on.
Why all these adjectives? It's because my dear friend, Pagan Sphinx, gifted me with a Fabulous Blog Award which I'm accepting on behalf of susan who has been a reluctant, although tractable, student of economics and ecology all these interesting years. I won't give you one of my less than optimistic prognostications this evening because today I've been requested to admit to 5 addictions. Only 5? It's going to be hard to choose but here goes:
1. I like to eat the brandied nuts and fruit in really old fruitcake. A well made fruitcake is a great geologic event.
2. I'm addicted to frequent flier miles without ever having to buy a ticket. Douglas Adams helped teach my nephew Gerhard to fly by telling him, 'The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.' It worked like a charm.
3. I avoid worry, stress and tension. That and good grooming is the secret to my success and longevity.
4. I fly when it's light and sleep. or find a friendly bar, when it's dark but even so, time is fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow.
5. I'm addicted to people in spite of what my old friend Einstein had to say about you: 'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.'
Now I get to present the award to 5 of my favorite friends. Some of my favorite friends have wings or four feet and no computers so I'm just going to have to tell them about the yellow dress and try to ignore them falling off their perches in gales of hilarity. The others I'd like to send on the award to are:
The nationally renowned artist, Linda of Vulture Peak Muse.
Nobel Prize winner, Paul Krugman.
The cranky but loveable, James Howard Kunstler.
The prescient Dr. Doom also known as Nouriel Roubini.
Famed Long Island philosopher, Spartacus.
Oops! There goes my big bottomed friend, Carmelacita Quranga el-Quaila. I'm gonna be late for the opera if I don't catch up. See you guys around and remember if you see a wooden nickel hold on to it. It may be a valuable antique.
LATE BREAKING ANNOUNCEMENT: James Howard Kunstler has responded to the presentation of this prestigious award by stating he's simply not worthy of such an honor and besides that, he looks terrible in yellow. He's requested the Fabulous Blog Award be redirected to one of his favorite authors: the acclaimed and beautiful sophisticate, Utah Savage.