Friday, January 13, 2012

this and that


While looking for something else I never did find (isn't it always the way?) I came across a number of little heads I'd sewn years ago for a doll making project. I did make a couple of dozen little ladies as gifts for friends but never used all the heads. Not feeling like drawing I decided instead to see if I could use the faces as part of the design for small hand-made boxes. Using the front and back of a cereal box, some extra pieces of scarf silk I'd dyed, as well as some glue, this is what I've come up with in the past couple of days of sometimes cold, sometimes snowy, sometimes rainy but always winter weather. It's an octagon 2.5 inches across, 2 inches tall and silky inside and out.

While my hands were busy I couldn't help but come up with some random thoughts about this and that in the news and round about. Here are some in no particular order:

Although you can send most anything anywhere it costs more, takes longer and it's getting harder to find a post office or a mailbox.

Some people can't afford fuel to heat their homes but if they're lucky enough to live in a gas fracking zone they can warm up by turning on the kitchen tap and flicking a match.

Cities can be reached by superhighways and space age bridges but neighborhood streets aren't being repaired.

If a good size storm comes along and washes out the road to your town the government might decide your town wasn't worth visiting anyway.

In some places not only are the streetlights out but they pulled out the poles to save on vandalism and people calling to report the lights are off.
corollary: You may buy a new gadget on sale but you could be carrying it home in the dark.

Many cities have purchased folding buses that are almost too big to go around corners. By the time you walk back to your seat the front of the bus has arrived at your stop.

Apartment building common areas are no longer being heated but management tells you the fans blowing cold air in from outside is a 'feature'. Remember to wear heavy clothing while using the laundry room.

On the plus side, zipper technology is better. I remember a time as a kid when I thought I might spend the rest of my life in my snowsuit.


Atlantis - An inconvenient truth from Simon Prager on Vimeo.

Now I have to go and find a box to put my box in.

12 comments:

  1. I wish I had your knack for creating , although, I expect my garden is my artistic avenue.
    A deep and thought provoking post, funny too, I have been stuck in clothes thanks to zippers that refused to let me out as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see your beautiful fabric creations again, Susan. Funny, and sometimes sad and truthful list! And the video is great - had me looking up 'steampunk' as well - an eyeopener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely observed, Susan. And I suppose, if you had let Crow a go I'd still be reading.

    May I add, with 13/14 days delay: A healthy year to you and those you love?
    [Stupid question]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the folding buses line. :-)

    The little boxes are precious. I think they would sell quickly on etsy.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gemel - Sometimes I think I spend so much time drawing and making things simply because I don't have a garden. You're lucky that way and very skilled.

    Yes, zippers used to be maddening.

    marja-leena - I'm glad you liked it. I made the faces when I was trying to see how much expression I could get without pre-shaping the surface.

    Steampunk done well is a very neat art form.

    sean - Sometimes all we can do is laugh. Crow has his own interpretations.

    Good wishes never go amiss so I'll wish the same for you - again.

    gina - I'm pretty sure they got sold as job lots to drunken city officials. We seen them pull up to bus stops with their back ends still in the middle of the street behind.

    I'm glad you like the little box but they'd be labor intensive as a series and I'm no good at factory work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget that with fracking comes earthquakes, so stock up on James Bond's favorite ingredients and let, er, nature take her course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ach it's a screwed up world we lived in. I love the pic. I could imagine a new Shari Lewis making a career with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I wouldn't mind spending my life in a snow suit...as long as there were enough pockets for beer and I didn't have to deal with snow.

    sheesh, see, it's always something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed to read your "twitter observations". Have a good 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such an artist, Susan, that you are always creating! It's wonderful you found the face and I love what you did with it. You don't even realize how cool it is!

    Love your random thoughts. When I looked at the great vimeo and saw the opening scene with all those windfans I thought about your comment on the common areas with their special "features." Your statement about fracking is brilliant (though depressingly real), and Steven Wright would surely be jealous that you came up with this one instead of him:
    Many cities have purchased folding buses that are almost too big to go around corners. By the time you walk back to your seat the front of the bus has arrived at your stop. !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. randal - I assume you mean 'shaken, not stirred'.

    jams - Yes it is and I'm glad you like the 'lady'.

    okjimm - You wouldn't want the beer to freeze, that's for sure.

    zee - Thanks and all the best to you too.

    lydia - I have a few more faces I'm playing around with now. I just like making things I wouldn't see otherwise. I am, of course, delighted you like this one.

    So many things we're asked to take seriously these days don't bear close scrutiny - or humor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your talents and generosity in sharing your creativity are boundless.

    ReplyDelete