Monday, August 14, 2017

two classics


Then the nightingale sang.

"That's it," said the little kitchen girl. "Listen, listen! And yonder he sits." She pointed to a little gray bird high up in the branches.

"Is it possible?" cried the Lord-in Waiting. "Well, I never would have thought he looked like that, so unassuming. But he has probably turned pale at seeing so many important people around him."

"Little nightingale," the kitchen girl called to him, "our gracious Emperor wants to hear you sing."

"With the greatest of pleasure," answered the nightingale, and burst into song.

"Very similar to the sound of glass bells," said the Lord-in-Waiting. "Just see his little throat, how busily it throbs. I'm astounded that we have never heard him before. I'm sure he'll be a great success at court."

"Shall I sing to the Emperor again?" asked the nightingale, for he thought that the Emperor was present.

"My good little nightingale," said the Lord-in-Waiting, "I have the honor to command your presence at a court function this evening, where you'll delight His Majesty the Emperor with your charming song."

"My song sounds best in the woods," said the nightingale, but he went with them willingly when he heard it was the Emperor's wish.

***

The story quoted here is from  The Nightingale by Hans Christian Andersen and the painting is my favorite of all the illustrations done by Edmund Dulac.

14 comments:

  1. How completely charming, dear Susan. Thank you for your offerings. So often I don't get online other than my email but that is where I find you too. :) I've had the loveliest long visit with my sweet little-biggest boy. Ahh, at times, life is sweet. Just like The Nightingale's song. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to know you enjoyed this one, dear Linda. If only more of us were wise to the simple truths our society would be in better shape.

      Delete
  2. "I'm astounded that we have never heard him before." How sad that comment is, amongst all that glorious loveliness. It's not unlike never having heard the stillness after the wind, lightning and rain storm have passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Tom.

      I hope all is well with you and Lucy.

      Delete
    2. Everything is as well as can be expected. House move accomplished successfully.

      Delete
    3. Languedoc, perhaps? At least still in France, I hope?

      Delete
    4. Still in Brittany, but in the Valley of the Rance.

      Delete
    5. I looked it up. What a lovely place, Tom, and by the seaside too. Does Elfie enjoy runs on the beach whilst the two of you get your toes wet? I hope you are happy.

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan,
    The Nightingale has always been such an inspiration, with "Ode to a Nightingale" (1819) by Keats to Vera Lyn’s evergreen “A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square”. Also “The Nightingale” story by Hans Christian Andersen inspired an opera by the composer Stepan Mitussov.
    In more modern times we have extracts from that opera by Sarah Brightman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctwk-VOrSWw ,

    I think she perfectly imitates the sound of the mechanical bird as opposed the real Nightingale.

    Of course you would be also be aware of the many beautiful ballets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiVOY1q02M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctwk-VOrSWw

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lindsay, those are all fine examples of the honor afforded to this magnificent story about the sacred quality of natural harmony.
      All the best

      Delete
  4. Such color. I love oriental art.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  5. visiting, reading, not much to say but hello!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you again, Claire! I'm doing much the same myself.

      Delete