Sunday, June 25, 2017

the phone call


A lawyer attempting to call his clients had the following conversation with their little boy who answered the phone:

The phone rang and the little boy, in a whisper, says, "Hello."
 

Lawyer: "Is your mommy there?"
Boy: (whisper) "Yes."
 

Lawyer: "Can I speak with her?"
Boy: (whisper) "She's busy."
 

Lawyer: "Is your daddy there?"
Boy: (whisper) "Yes."
 

Lawyer: "Can I speak with him?"
Boy: (whisper) "He's busy."
 

Lawyer: "Is there anyone else there?"
Boy: (whisper) "The fire department."
 

Lawyer: "Can I talk to one of them?"
Boy: (whisper) "They're busy."
 

Lawyer: "Is there anybody ELSE there?"
Boy: (whisper) "The police department."
 

Lawyer: "Well, can I talk to one of THEM?"
Boy: (whisper) "They're busy."
 

Lawyer: "Let me get this straight, your mother,
father, the fire department AND the police department
are ALL in your house, and they're ALL busy. WHAT
are they doing?"
Boy: (whisper) "They're looking for me."


***

In between times of no painting a story can still suggest a picture - as this one did.

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will 
make me go in a corner and cry by myself for hours”
~ Eric Idle




14 comments:

  1. That was brilliant! And the detail in the drawing....so spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom! I'm very happy to know you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha ha.
    Not sure, I'll tell this Annabelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time you could simply follow the telephone wire..

      Delete
  3. Love the drawing. Seen the joke somewhere before, a few times over the decades. Makes it no less delicious.
    Hope you're well, it's 87 on the front porch, which is unheard of at 6K feet, Butte, in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just figured the story needed a picture, Mike. I'm glad it succeeded.

      I'm fine and all is well here. Sorry about the weird high temps you're having there. Saw pictures yesterday of melting garbage cans and plastic fencing in AZ.

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan,
    Love your drawing and lovely picture of the little boy talking on the old phone with the lead – Ha Ha - but spare a thought for all those lawyers who don't think lawyer jokes are very funny, and others (apart from your astute followers) who think they’re not jokes.
    But I’m stuck on certain ingrained country prejudices so could you ask Crow is it true that Americans think that poverty and failure are morally suspect, that Canadians believe that wealth and success are morally suspect, but the Brits believe that wealth, poverty, success, and failure are all inherited?
    Some Aussies told me that none of this really matters - but they could only summon up the courage to say so after consuming several beers.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsay,
      I'm glad to know you enjoyed seeing the picture - I think it turned out well too. I rather thought in this case that the caller could have been just about any professional person. Some years ago I was obliged by a doctor who employed me to get in touch with a patient. Over the course of the day I made several calls and each time spoke to a little girl who told me her mother 'was in the shower'. Near the end of the day I made a final call and got the same answer. That time I asked if there was any other adult I might speak to and when she (surprisingly) said yes, her mother's friend was there, I asked to speak to the friend. The little girl paused a moment and then said, "He's in the shower too".
      Crow says those truisms may have once been relevant but the internet has changed many assumptions. He suggests another beer and a few rounds of jokes.
      All the best

      Delete
  5. Ha! Great quote!

    Loved this, loved your drawing even more. That little boy reminds me of someone! xxx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great quote, isn't it? I've certainly experienced that myself.

      I'm happy you like the picture - yes, he's reminiscent of your little guy. Boys are lovely.

      Delete
  6. So funny! Love your art too, susan, as always. Loved the story/comment to Lindsay too!

    It has been hot here too, but hey, it IS summer at last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always makes me happy to see you've been by, Marja-Leena. I'm very grateful for your kind comments about my work. :)

    and, yes, that's a true story.. poor kid.

    I hope it's no hotter there than it's supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete