Friday, October 29, 2010

autumn diversion

Memories of morning on a planet far, far away where people and lizards know to treasure the wisdom of elderly tigers.

In honor of the upcoming US elections I thought I'd post a real radio transcript of a conversation that took place between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland a few years ago:

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the north.
Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
Americans: This is the captain of a US navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
Canadians: No. I say again, divert YOUR course.
Americans: This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln, the second biggest ship in the United States Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels. I demand that you change YOUR course 15 degrees north. That's one five degrees north, or counter measures will be taken to ensure the safety of this ship.
Canadians: We are a lighthouse. Your call.



Sometimes all you can do is laugh.

14 comments:

  1. Yes, honor the elderly. And be suspicious of the brash and arrogant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, now that you're a Canadian, (please), you make fun of us down here sufferin'.
    Just kidding, of course. Arrogance is the by word for sure, but it's still funny enough to laugh at.
    Another lovely lady in the painting.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I've seen it before but it is a good one. I wonder if the wisdom of elderly tigers is the same as elderly cats where much effort is put into getting second breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just last night He-weasel had a dream that a tiger was following me and I come here and see this BEAUTIFUL painting. And you made me laugh! I like coming here.:-)xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Rush or O'Riley or Beck had been that captain the lighthouse would have been crashed into. :)

    Thanks for the smile. Love the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. border explorer - Excellent advice always.

    marja-leena - It was :-)

    spadoman - You know I'd never make fun of my friends and I don't have any friends like that.

    jams - No matter the size, it's best not to let a cat get hungry.

    belette - Ahh, I love coincidences and making you laugh.

    liberality - You're right about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a lot of catching up to do... Lots of delicious posts have piled up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan
    I trust your paint does not freeze over and you’re still able to put a tiger in your tank by now – maybe by sampling the delights of the Indian restaurant. I like the way in your colorful paintings you bring a principal focus of our animal cousins.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  9. This hubris-as-humor would be more humorous if it weren't emblematic of a pervasive,dead-end American attitude.

    There are a LOT of lighthouses out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. steve - Delighted to see you've returned and I bet your family was even happier. Come back when you like.

    lindsay - Well, I don't think I'll be doing any watercolors en plein air for a while :-) I only put the ladies in as an excuse to frame the animals.

    okjimm - Thought you'd like it.

    cr - I know so many nice Americans it's amazing to me this other element holds the power.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like such jokes. The exchangeability of their protagonists makes them universal.

    Well, and - need I say, Mylady? - another fine painting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sean - They are usually the funniest kind.

    Glad you liked the painting.

    ReplyDelete