Friday, April 8, 2011

if wishes were camels


No, no, it's not quite time to get our hopes up that Crow has returned to the east coast of Canada in spite of the fact I told him the snow was gone and the temperatures have actually hit the high 30's. You already know he went to the Middle East and rather than return, he's taken it as a good time to go exploring. He may be looking for magic inscriptions left by the ancient pyramid builders. I hear there's a rumor they knew some aliens who might have some answers for the mess we're in.. or perhaps they know of a nice planet without humans he can take his friends to til we wise up.

Meanwhile, he told me a joke he wants me to share:

One day, a man was walking along the beach and came across an odd-looking lamp. Not being one to ignore tradition, he rubbed it and, much to his surprise, a Genie actually appeared. 'For releasing me from the lamp, I will grant you three wishes,' said the Genie. The man was ecstatic. 'But there's a catch,' the Genie continued. 'What catch?' asked the man, eyeing the Genie suspiciously. The Genie replied, 'For each of your wishes, every politician in the world will receive double what you asked for'.
'Hey, I can live with that! No problem!' replied the elated man. 'Then what is your first wish?' asked the Genie. 'Well, I've always wanted a Ferrari!' Poof! A Ferrari appeared in front of the man. 'Now, every politician in the world has been given two Ferraris,' said the Genie. 'What is your next wish?' I could really use a million dollars ... ' replied the man, and Poof! One million dollars appeared at his feet. 'Now, every politician in the world is two million dollars richer,' the Genie reminded the man. 'Well, that's okay, as long as I've got my million,' replied the man. 'And what is your final wish?' asked the Genie. The man thought long and hard, and finally said, 'Well, you know, I've always wanted to donate a kidney ... .'

You may notice it's an old joke because of the modest nature of the guy's wishes.. or perhaps he's just not especially greedy. Take care til next time. I promised Crow I'd clean up the crappy postcard he sent but I may surprise him by turning it into a painting. If I do you'll see it here first.

15 comments:

  1. Hah! Thanks for the fabulous joke, Crow, just the right thing during these elections in Canada and the crazy mess going on south of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back on line after a long series of days on teh road (job and family mixed) and it was a pleasure to find this postcard and joke from Crow.

    Maybe if the states had to replace the current Congress after all those kidney transplants, we could get a budget? And some people who actually get their facts straight before jumping on their ideological band wagons and voting for bills and amendments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What expressions on those faces!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I wonder where we go from here. How does one negotiate with people who refuse to compromise? What is the point? Has this United States of America experiment played itself out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from Crow again. He seems to have found a very happy camel!

    Definition of a politician: Someone who can sit on the fence and keep both ears to the ground at the same time ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bwah, chortle & wheez! Now that, I dig.

    Ladye of Georgia, all experiments involving the human variable are destined to be miserable failures. You young people and your Cosmic Candy idealism

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the joke - and so fitting during this latest debacle by our elected ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA! She paints... writes... tells jokes!!!
    Your talents amaze me.... but listen, I'm trying to carve Gandhi's head on Mt Rushmore, do you do stone carving, too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. marja-leena - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've come to suspect the sanity of anyone who goes into politics.

    steve - I hope you enjoyed a good time with your family if not necessarily the work part of your trips.

    It's so very disheartening to see people throwing away the benefits of 200 years of improvement to their lives. There'd be no budget problems without the wars not even declared by Congress.

    lisa - :-)

    You know the answer to that question. All they have to do is mention a hot button issue and people will line up behind all the rest. Ignorance may be bliss but it's also suicidal.

    francis - Naturally, she's a prize winning Saudi camel.

    I love your definition.

    randal - Glad you enjoyed it.

    nancy - I believe the appropriate phrase nowadays is selected ones.

    okjimm - Well no, but I do have a nice pair of granny glasses if you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. an end to poverty and oppression
    2. compassion and kindness
    3. an abundant supply of chocolate, which also becomes a health food.

    did you notice how i made only three wishes, yet each is a compound wish so it's almost like having six wishes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. sera - I'm sure we could use your method of well chosen compound wishes to fix everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crow must have mounted that camel in quite a hurry. I notice he has two different shoes on! I am partial to the curly-toed style and imagine it in purples and reds with gold thread woven through. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. pagan sphinx - I guess it doesn't look very clear in the drawing that we're looking at the sole of his right shoe. I love your color choice for the shoes. Now I'm puzzling over his pantaloons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha! That is a wonderful joke, and one I have never heard before. I can't wait to tell it to my husband, who has a terrible sense of humor that I am trying desperately to heal!

    This drawing is sublime. I love crow and I love the camel. There are two camels in a field not far from our town. I always enjoy seeing them, fine grand ones that they are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't blame him for staying away. I hope it warms up soon for you. It is now in the 60s most days and the flowers and trees are blooming. I am starting to perk up a little even :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. lydia - Glad you enjoyed it. It was originally a lawyer joke that works equally well with politicians - most of whom are lawyers anyway.

    It's nice you get to see camels regularly. I understand only a very few of them are as sweet tempered as this one.

    liberality - Yes, we have crocuses in the gardens where they were planted and daffs/tulips close behind. I wonder why more people don't plant them here? I'm happy to know your weather is warming up nicely and that you're feeling a little better.

    ReplyDelete